Sustaining communication and information exchange across a network of active sustainability professionals is core to SSN's work. Key SSN resources are listed below.
Key SSN Resources
- SSN Progress Report 2010 The Progress Report provides: key facts on SSN, an overview of recent network events and activity, our communications work, and how we interact with other national organisations to assist local government in leading action on sustainable development and climate change.
- SSN Progress Report 2007
- See also our About SSN and Priority Themes webpages
All 32 Scottish local authorities are signatories to Scotland's Climate Change Declaration. The Declaration commits councils both to mitigate their impact on climate change through reducing greenhouse gas emissions and take steps to adapt to the unavoidable impacts of a changing climate.
Signatories to Scotland's Climate Change Declaration are committed to produce an annual report, detailing their progress in mitigating, and adapting to, climate change.
Information on Scotland's Climate Change Declaration and access to annual reports can be found on Scotland's Climate Change Declaration Website.
- SSN Learning Brief 12: Community Planning and Public Sector Climate Action
- SSN Learning Brief 11: Sustainable Procurement
- SSN Learning Brief 9: Engaging & Supporting Schools on Sustainable Development & Climate Change
- SSN Learning Brief 8: Effective Community Engagement on Climate Change and Sustainable Development
- SSN Learning Brief 7: Consultation Event on Scottish Government's Energy Efficiency Action Plan
- SSN Learning Brief 6: Sharing Good Practice and Filling the Information Gaps
- SSN Learning Brief 5: Climate Change - Challenges & Opportunities
- SSN Learning Brief 4: Bringing Community Planning Partners into your Council's Climate Change Declaration
- SSN Learning Brief 3: Sustainable Transport & Ecological Footprinting
- SSN Learning Brief 2: Best Value & Sustainable Development
- SSN Learning Brief 1: Climate Change Communications
- SSN Briefing Paper: Consistent Climate Change Approaches for Scottish Local Authorities - Outcomes, Indicators & Methodologies
- Tools for Integrating Sustainable Procurement into Spending Decisions
Visit the SSN News Page to access news about SSN, and to get the latest sustainable development news from Scotland, the UK and beyond! And why not sign up to receive our 'top 5' news stories direct to your inbox each week.
Quick-Fire Case Study Videos (2011)
Scottish Local Authority Case Study Posters (2011)
Scottish Local Authority Case Study Posters (2010)
Scottish Local Authority Case Study Posters (2009)
For more information about Scottish local authority action on sustainable development and climate change, visit the SSN News Page and select the Local Government topic.
For further information on individual local authorities and their approach to sustainable development, visit the SSN Member Profiles webpages.
- SSN Conference 2011 - Local Action for a Sustainable Scotland was held on 10 November. The conference focussed on how to better align public, private and community action to deliver on our climate change and sustainable development ambitions. For more information visit the website.
- SSN Conference 2010 - A Step Change: Local Government Leadership for a Low Carbon Economy was held on 4 November in Edinburgh. To access resources from the day, visit the website.
- SSN Conference 2009 - Sustainable Economic Growth & the Agenda for Scottish Local Authorities, focussed on whether the current economic and climate crises provide a unique opportunity to invest in the changes that will create a more sustainable economy. To access resources from the day, visit the website.
- SSN Conference 2008 - Accounting for Sustainable Development, focussed on the issues of sustainable economic growth, carbon accounting and sustainable procurement. To access resources from the day, visit the website.
- SSN Conference 2007 - Local Government & Climate Change: Your How-To Guide, focussed on improving local authority responses to climate change. To access resources from the day, visit the website.
SSN holds regular network meetings for members. To access resources from SSN Quarterly Meetings, including PowerPoint presentations and Learning Briefs, visit the Quarterly Meetings webpage.
The Local Footprints Project helps local authorities and schools make an effective contribution to reducing Scotland's footprint through the use of footprint analysis to inform policy and practice, to raise awareness, and to change behaviour.
SSN has developed a Best Value & Sustainable Development Toolkit for local authorities, to support their efforts to embed sustainable development at the heart of their operations. Visit the Best Value & Sustainable Development Toolkit Website
SSN Members are encouraged to join the SSN Knowledge Hub online community. The SSN KHub allows members to exchange information and documents online. Visit the SSN Knowledge Hub.
- SSN Response to Scottish Government's Public Bodies Climate Change Duties Guidance Consultation
- SSN Response to Scottish Government's Energy Efficiency Action Plan Consultation
- SSN Response to Scottish Government's Climate Change (Scotland) Bill Consultation
- SSN Response to Scottish Government's Climate Change Adaptation Framework Consultation
- SSN Response to Best Value 2 - Proposals for Consultation
SSN Knowledge Base & Site Map
Visit our Links page for an overview of government bodies and non-governmental organisations that are relevant to local authorities progressing sustainable development.